ALL PACKRAFTERS IN FINLAND – UNITE!
At the river in August 2014.
We’d like to invite you to the first ever gathering of packrafters in Finland. A well seasoned veteran, happy owner of a new boat or a complete beginner with a borrowed or rented boat – all are welcome! From Finland or from abroad, doesn’t matter.
This is an open invitation for anyone interested and having an access to a packraft.
Martinkoski rapids with record low water level in August 2014.
The meeting will take place at river Kymijoki in Southern Finland just North of Kotka from Friday October 3rd to Sunday October 5th.The schedule is flexible so you can join only for a part of the weekend or for the whole meeting depending on your schedule and preferences.
THE PLAN AND THE SCHEDULE
The Kuovinkallio shelter.
The gathering starts at Friday (3.10.) evening at Kuovinkallio shelter (WGS84 lat 60.64145° lon 26.75634°) at Ahvionkosket.
There’s a road access, parking space for a dozen cars or so, sheltered fire-place, woodshed and a toilet plus lots of decent places to pitch your shelter. Evening may be spent by the fire at the shelter and/or on the river. The beautiful section of island dotted Ahvionkosket rapids starts from the shelter and there’s easy two kilometer (2km) road or trail walk back to the shelter.
On Saturday (4.10.) we will leave from the Kuovinkallio shelter downstream starting at 12:00.
We will paddle down the river passing Martinkoski (class 1-2) and Kultaankoski (class 1 or less) which can also be easily portaged. We will continue on the Western fork of the river to reach the outskirts of Valkmusa National Park. This means about 9 kilometers of packrafting.
Finding our way to the Moronvuori hut along the small ditches with the high water of October 2012. This year it’ll be walking.
At some point we will change into hiking mode and walk about 2 kilometers to Moronvuori Day Trip Hut (WGS84 lat 60.56499° lon 26.75834°) in Valkmusa National Park. There is a hut, sheltered fireplace, a woodshed and a toilet. Evening will be spent at the area.
Exploring the Haukanvuori rock by the hut.
There is no planned program for Sunday (5.10.) and you are free to do as you wish. Options include for example:
– Hiking (4km) and/or paddling (2km hike + 3km paddling) from the hut back to the road 3562 in the West. A shuttle car back to Kuovinkallio may be arranged in advance.
– Paddling the Western fork (Hirvikoskenhaara) to Pyhtää or the Eastern fork to Kotka. Even all the way to the sea! Both require short hike back to the river.
– Playboating in Pernoonkosket rapids at the start of the Eastern fork. Require again short hike. A shuttle car back to Kuovinkallio may be arranged in advance.
– …or something completely different. It’s all up to you!
Surfing at Torminvirta in Pernoonkosket rapids in October 2012.
To get an idea of how many people are joining, when and what they’d like to do and to share rides, please fill in the Doodle questionnaire.
This is an informal and free gathering of like-minded outdoors people so in the end everybody is responsible for themselves. Bring the kit you need and remember to leave no trace!
– The location of Kuovinkallio shelter
– The Valkmusa National Park
– The Moronvuori Day Trip hut
– White water kayaking notes for Ahvionkoske, Pernoonkosket and Hirvikoski rapids (in Finnish)
– Photos from the Kymijoki river and the Valkmusa National Park in October 2012 (high water level)
– Photos from Ahvionkosket area in August 2014 (record low water level)
– Packrafting video from Torminvirta in Pernoonkosket during near-record-high water level in October 2012
– Packrafting videos (one and two) from Martinkoski during record low water level in August 2014
Not having a packraft? No problem! Rent one from BackpackingNorth!
IN A NUTSHELL
– Informal and free for all gathering of packrafters
– At Kymijoki on 3.-5.10.2014
– Starting from Kuovinkallio shelter at Ahvionkosket and traveling to Moronvuori day trip hut at Valkmusa National Park (see above for more information).
– Bring your own boat, camping gear and food!
– Please fill in the Doodle questionnaire if you’re coming!
Martinkoski with the exceptionally high water level in October 2012.
DISCUSSION, PLANS, QUESTIONS, ETC. AT THE DOODLE OR HERE ON KORPIJAAKKO.COM BLOG!